The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Doris

Guest Guest

Our By-laws allow for proxy voting. I've looked in FAQ and RONR but have not found my answer. Can you please tell me if there is a limit to the number of proxy votes one member can possess at our meetings? Each proxy vote usually includes in writing the desires of the person not in attendance for others to read just in case there's any question. It has been my experience over 13 years,  that 1 lot owner has never held more than 3-4 proxy votes, the usual is 1-2 proxy votes and we have 28 members total.

There is no limit in RONR.  But this is because there are no rules about proxies at all in RONR, other than to point out that they are improper unless authorized in the bylaws.

So whatever proxy rules you have (presumably in your bylaws along with the authorization) is where you should look for a limit.

It seems to be common (in HOAs for example) for members to be instructed to send their proxies to the secretary, misleading many (I suspect) to assume that the secretary is the only person they can give their proxies to. I imagine the secretary would end up with many more than just one or two. 

If the proxies are directed (i.e. stipulating the way the proxy holder must vote), I can't imagine why it would matter how many proxies any one person held.

Archived