The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How one person can derail vote

Guest Dwayne

I was interviewed for a board position at my HOA and I was asked if 8 board members were for an item and I was against would I derail or stop a vote on the item. I stated I didn't think one person could accomplish that task. I was told" there are ways". I am not trying to get on the board to stop their business- I was just curious if one person could derail the board or are they just paranoid?

Under Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised (RONR 11th ed) no single member can stop a vote or otherwise (significantly) derail a vote on the item. To postpone a vote requires a majority vote, and to avoid a vote (i.e. by extended debate) would require 1/3 of the members willing to extend the debate (by refusing to adopt a motion for the previous question, for example). Even in that case such debate must be germane.   Further the presiding officer is obligated to rule out of order other dilatory tactics (see RONR page 342-343).

Sometimes "the rules" get a bad rap for being used to obstruct business, but they were really designed to expedite business, as long as they are properly applied.

There is at least one time when a single member can put the brakes on voting on a motion as currently presented.  For example, if a pending motion contains several questions which are not related to one another (such as painting the Clubhouse red and commending a member for winning a chess tournament) a single member can demand that the question on painting the Clubhouse be considered separately from the one on the commendation (RONR pp. 274-275).  There may be other exceptions besides the one I mentioned but none come to mind right now.

Most likely.  However, just because RONR doesn't really have any rules that allows a single member to stop a motion in its tracks doesn't stop the Board (or HOA) from adopting one of those rules.  So you might want to check just to make sure.

Or "assuming" rules that are incorrect, but handed down from board to board.  For example, misuses of the motion to lay on the table, calls of "Question!" to stop debate, claims of "ownership" of a motion by the person making it, and other nonsense can be used by a member to bully a board that only learned "the rules" by word of mouth (and perhaps from the mouth of the bully!)

Or "assuming" rules that are incorrect, but handed down from board to board.  For example, misuses of the motion to lay on the table, calls of "Question!" to stop debate, claims of "ownership" of a motion by the person making it, and other nonsense can be used by a member to bully a board that only learned "the rules" by word of mouth (and perhaps from the mouth of the bully!)

Excellent response. Furthermore, it should be noted that boards have no authority to adopt rules for the governance of their proceedings which conflict in any way with the society's bylaws, the society's parliamentary authority, and any special rules of order or standing rules of the society which may be applicable to it.

Thanks for all your answers. My HOA is very lax on using RROO even though our documents stipulate they are to be used.

This is true for the board meetings and our annual membership meeting. I find the rules interesting and I can see how they would be useful in having an orderly meeting. My study of the rules has begun . Thanks again

Archived