The Official RONR Q & A Forums

What does "newspaper" mean and more.

DanielEHayes

I am dealing with the after effects of some poorly thought out "Bylaws".  What i have concluded is that our bigger problem is our special rules. So change the Special Rules, right? Well...here's the amendment for changing the special rules.(which is what I view as one of the big problems with the by laws themselves.)

Article 14.3
The Special Rules may be amended by a majority vote at any convention.

So change them in a convention right? Their are numerous problems in the special rules that make our operations rather difficult and the original author who has moved on used to ignore at will as chairman of the organization which used to be much smaller. BIIG problems. On top of that..the next convention is in 2016..so a ways to go...but wait..there's more(and a lot more on top of this which I won't get into.)

Special Rule 4.12 

Notice of each Regular or Special Convention shall be published in at least one

newspaper serving each Parish no later than 60 days prior to such convention

and every week thereafter until the convention.

So the question relates to...what does a newspaper mean.
Could any old rag do or should it be a Journal of Record even though it just says "newspaper".

I am dealing with the after effects of some poorly thought out "Bylaws".  What i have concluded is that our bigger problem is our special rules. So change the Special Rules, right? Well...here's the amendment for changing the special rules.(which is what I view as one of the big problems with the by laws themselves.)

Article 14.3

The Special Rules may be amended by a majority vote at any convention.

So change them in a convention right? Their are numerous problems in the special rules that make our operations rather difficult and the original author who has moved on used to ignore at will as chairman of the organization which used to be much smaller. BIIG problems. On top of that..the next convention is in 2016..so a ways to go...but wait..there's more(and a lot more on top of this which I won't get into.)

Yes, the convention may change them.  It is fairly standard to let the body change them.

RONR says little or nothing about a "newspaper."

Archived