The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Membership Application Handling of the Vote

Bobbibakker

Membership application was submitted.  Membership was notified of this individuals intent to join.  30 day allowance given for membership to write letters to Officers and Board either in support or against potential member.  Letters of both for and against are received.  Potential member is allowed to respond to negative letter.  Board denies the application.  One of the applicants sponsors requests an appeal.  Applicatant is presented at the next general membership meeting.

Here is the issue as hand:  The applicantion was presented.  The negative letter, which was presented to the Board was read to the membership in attendance.  The response letter from the proposed applicant, was not presented.  When asked for a reason why, we were told that no officer or the membership chairperson had a copy with them.   Then someone attempted to download it so that it could be read, but there were alleged connection problems.  Another member said they had a copy in their room, but she was not allowed to leave the meeting hall to obtain it. 

Should the vote been allowed without the presentation of both letters?  One of the sponsors was present and he was allowed to speak, but he had no knowledge of the negative issue at hand and therefore could not provide a rebuttal. 

Although there may not be a direct RR on point for this is there atleast a guideline?  Thank you.

Should the vote been allowed without the presentation of both letters?

Well, votes are taken with insufficient information all the time. I'm assuming the application was rejected?

If you think additional information will change the outcome, why not submit a new application?

It sounds like the supporters of the applicant dropped the ball.

Well, votes are taken with insufficient information all the time. I'm assuming the application was rejected?

If you think additional information will change the outcome, why not submit a new application?

It sounds like the supporters of the applicant dropped the ball.

Thank you for your response.  Trust me when I say you had to have been at that meeting to have an inkling of what was allowed and what wasn't.  Travesty at best.  Yes, the person can reapply, but we are going to attempt a "Motion for Reconsideration" at the next National meeting in September.  I was just looking for any additional information and/or support rules to help boost our position.  Again, thank you for your response.

... Another member said they had a copy in their room, but she was not allowed to leave the meeting hall to obtain it. ...

Really?  Your club has legal power to arrest or detain?

... but we are going to attempt a "Motion for Reconsideration" at the next National meeting in September. ...

If you're talking about the motion to reconsider that's in Robert's Rules, the attempt should fail.  It will be too late to reconsider. You should look at Chapter 7 in RONR- In Brief, "How Can a Group Change Its MInd?" to see what you can do.

And for that matter, if you haven't read that book, I urge you to do so.  Now.  I don't care if you're in Tanzania and it's 2 AM, go wake the bookstore manager.  Tell him you're being eaten by crocodiles (salt-water or fresh-water, I forget about crocodiles in Tanzania) and you need an RONR - In Brief without delay.

Archived