The Official RONR Q & A Forums

When does the present executive terminate?

Guest Misty

I will try to post this again. When does our executive cease to be our executive. Our annual meeting is coming soon. Does the present executive no longer exist as a governing body once the annual meeting begins, or is the present executive in place until a new executive is nominated and elected at the annual meeting?

I'm going to assume that, by "executive," you mean your board of directors (or "executive board"), since the word "executive" can refer to a whole bunch of things (such as an executive secretary, or executive session:  "executive" is an adjective, not a noun, though, confusingly, it's often misused that way).  If you don't mean your executive board, please tell us what you do mean.

Your bylaws should state the terms of your officers and directors.  Misty, please triple-check what your bylaws say.  Generally, the board itself is in continuous existence, and what changes is only the people on the board.

In the unlikely, and horrendous, event that your officers', and board members', terms are not specified in the bylaws, I suppose you'll have to go by the fact that Robert's Rules says that a person takes office the moment his (or her) election is final.  So at that moment, the newly-elected members of your "executive" will take the reins of the "executive"; and until that moment, the previous occupants of the seats on the board remain the members of the board.

Is that it?

I suppose you'll have to go by the fact that Robert's Rules says that a person takes office the moment his (or her) election is final.

What does RRoO mean by "final"?

I think "completed" might be a better word. An election is completed when there is a winner and the winner accepts the office (or, if absent, has previously indicated his willingness to serve if elected). 

"An election to an office becomes final immediately if the candidate is present and does not decline, or if he is absent but has consented to his candidacy. If he is absent and has not consented to his candidacy, the election becomes final when he is notified of his election, provided that he does not immediately decline. If he does decline, the election is incomplete, and another vote can be taken immediately or at the next meeting without further notice."  (RONR, 11th ed., p. 444, ll. 18-25.)

Archived