The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rule requiring majority to elect suspendable?

Tom Coronite

Our church is preparing to elect a pastoral search committee in accordance with our bylaws.  The bylaws require a ballot vote, and state the committee shall have 7 members plus two alternates.  We plan to conduct nominations by ballot.

Is the requirement for a majority in order to be elected to this committee suspendable?  Can we instead use a plurality and take the top 7 vote getters as committee members?

Personally, I am looking at p405 lines 2-6 and thinking we cannot, but would appreciate the experts' insights and advice, as the concept of what is suspendable or not has always been a stumbling block for me.  Thank you.

Our church is preparing to elect a pastoral search committee in accordance with our bylaws.  The bylaws require a ballot vote, and state the committee shall have 7 members plus two alternates.  We plan to conduct nominations by ballot.

Is the requirement for a majority in order to be elected to this committee suspendable?  Can we instead use a plurality and take the top 7 vote getters as committee members?

Personally, I am looking at p405 lines 2-6 and thinking we cannot, but would appreciate the experts' insights and advice, as the concept of what is suspendable or not has always been a stumbling block for me.  Thank you.

For a committee, a special rule of order can be adopted to elect the members by plurality.  For the election of officers the rule needs to be in the bylaws or it can't be done.

Archived