The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Question concerning precedence and applying to

JerryRig

Whenever a motion to Postpone is properly applied to an order of the day that is actually pending as a main motion (RONR, 11th ed., p. 181, ll. 8-12), it does then takes precedence over that pending main motion. Is this what you have in mind?

In other words, this is not a case of a motion applying to another pending motion over which it does not take precedence. I'm having difficulty conceiving of any such thing.

If, on the other hand, you are referring to a Call for the Orders of the Day, you can't postpone that to a definite time.  If correctly made, it is acted on at once, unless, by a 2/3 vote (suspending the rules), it is set aside.  

But a question that is then taken up as a result of the "call" can probably be postponed.

Other than that, I'm also at a loss to understand the situation.

It is my understanding that

when making the motion postpone Definitely

on a pending motion of Orders of the day,

that postpone definitely can be applied

but does not take precedence over the pending motion.

JerryRig,

That just does not make sense.

". . . on a pending motion of Orders of the day . . ."

does not make sense.

". . . that postpone definitely can be applied but does not take precedence over the pending motion."

does not make sense.

I mean, did someone stand and say "I move the Orders of the Day?"

And, how can you apply X to something without first adopting X?

And, how can you adopt X if X did not have priority ("precedence") over the immediately pending question?

What to try again?

Please talk over with your colleagues your question before re-posting (a third time!).

Your two attempts aren't getting anywhere.

And, how can you apply X to something without first adopting X?

And, how can you adopt X if X did not have priority ("precedence") over the immediately pending question?

Since we have been referring to the application of one motion to another pending motion, this isn't very helpful.

JerryRig, I'm glad I was able to help out. Feel free to ask additional questions by posting your questions as new topics in this forum.

I feel that to "survive", you need the right tools (the right book and the in brief version) and a willingness to learn. This forum has lots of experienced members who can answer your questions (and even answer questions you haven't thought of yet), so come back often!

Archived