The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest Lisa

I have the meeting minutes in front of me and there are 2 instances of false or incorrect information in them. The problem is the incorrect information was actually presented at the meeting and accepted at the time. Can I draw attention to the errors even though that is what happened at the meeting?

There are 2 instances of false or incorrect information in them.

The problem is the incorrect information was actually presented at the meeting and accepted at the time.

Can I draw attention to the errors even though that is what happened at the meeting?

Do you mean _______?

* mis-spelling

* error in grammar

* name of committee member left off a list

Yes. -- You may correct those things.

You are free to make a motion to amend the minutes, even after initial adoption, if the correction is applied to an error.

Do you mean ____ ?

* Debate was condensed into the minutes, and one of the arguments presented in the debate was not factual.

No. -- You cannot "correct" that.

Robert's Rules of Order does not allow "commentary" or "opinion" to be part of minutes.

But if your organization is choosing to go contrary to Robert's Rules and to include debate into your minutes, then the minutes must record what transpired, even if the actions were invalid, even if the arguments were false. Even if the speaker lied.

Your organization's choice to include debate in minutes implies that you want such things recorded. Warts and all.

You cannot falsify minutes.

You may delete it. But you cannot say that which was never said. You cannot lie, into your official record.

I have the meeting minutes in front of me and there are 2 instances of false or incorrect information in them. The problem is the incorrect information was actually presented at the meeting and accepted at the time. Can I draw attention to the errors even though that is what happened at the meeting?

If these instances of false or incorrect information are part of a motion, then no, you cannot correct the minutes, since they are an accurate record of what was done at the meeting. You could make a motion to amend the motion.

If these instances of false or incorrect information are not part of a motion, then they probably don't belong in the minutes (and wouldn't belong even if they were correct).

Archived