The Official RONR Q & A Forums

who is allowed to attend board of director meetings

Guest Belinda

I am new to a social club...so i apologize for my naive question.  Are members in good standing allowed to attend Board of director meetings, as long as they don't speak, or vote?  And are the same member s allowed to read the minutes from the meeting, excluding any Executive Session discussion?  Thanks you

Only members of the board have a right to attend board meetings. Non-members (of the board) can be invited or excluded as the board wishes.

Individual non-members (of the board) have no right to see the minutes of board meetings but the general membership of the club can order those minutes to be read at a club meeting.

This applies whether the meeting in question was held in executive session or not. But don't expect to find any discussion recorded in the minutes. It doesn't belong.

Individual non-members (of the board) have no right to see the minutes of board meetings but the general membership of the club can order those minutes to be read at a club meeting.

This applies whether the meeting in question was held in executive session or not. But don't expect to find any discussion recorded in the minutes. It doesn't belong.

I would add that if the assembly wishes to order the minutes of a board meeting held in executive session to be read, the general membership should also enter executive session, so that the information can at least stay within the society.

Archived