The Official RONR Q & A Forums

When to receive nominations

JerryRig

Is it OK to require members to send their nominations to the office 3 weeks before a special called meeting?  All the members would be notified of the nominees names before the special meeting.  Voting only would take place at the special meeting.  (no nominations or discussion).  The effort is to save discussion time at the special meeting.  I see nothing in RONR or our Bylaws to permit this.  Please help.

Perfectly OK, as long as the assembly agreed to it via adopting some some Standing and Special Rules of Order describing the process ahead of time, at a meeting.   Don't spring it on the members as "orders from above" three or four weeks before the election meeting.

One or two big exceptions to what you ask about:  "(no nominations or discussion)".   Do NOT include these in the rules.  Nominations from the floor can be vital to the health of an organization and must be allowed for (at the election meeting) per RONR, p. 435.   Also nominations (or more precisely, the nominees) are debatable, tinted page 18, #49.

Is it OK to require members to send their nominations to the office 3 weeks before a special called meeting?  All the members would be notified of the nominees names before the special meeting.  Voting only would take place at the special meeting.  (no nominations or discussion).  The effort is to save discussion time at the special meeting.  I see nothing in RONR or our Bylaws to permit this.  Please help.

The answer to your question is no, it is not OK to impose such a requirement on members unless they've clearly authorized you to do so. Apparently, they haven't.

Is it OK to make a motion to receive all nominations at the present general business meeting and in the motion to set a future special meeting for the voting? Is the discussion of the nominees required at the first meeting, second meeting or both?

Yes, but I do not believe you could prevent someone at the future special meeting from moving to re-open nominations.

Yes, but I do not believe you could prevent someone at the future special meeting from moving to re-open nominations.

I agree. I believe that to prevent nominations from the floor (or write in votes) would require a bylaw provision.  Any such provision that is in the special rules but not the bylaws could be suspended by a two-thirds vote.

I agree. I believe that to prevent nominations from the floor (or write in votes) would require a bylaw provision.  Any such provision that is in the special rules but not the bylaws could be suspended by a two-thirds vote.

Even if the rule was in the bylaws, it may be possible to suspend it, depending on how it is worded.

Is it OK to make a motion to receive all nominations at the present general business meeting and in the motion to set a future special meeting for the voting? Is the discussion of the nominees required at the first meeting, second meeting or both?

Is it OK to make such a motion? No, I sincerely doubt that it is in order to do so.

Debate with respect to nominations is in order only at such time as the floor is open for nominations to be made.

Archived