The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest Sharon Wyble

Is Consider Informally amendable?  My 10th edition of RONR says it is NOT amendable.  My 11th edition of RONR says it is amendable.  Have the characteristics for that motion changed between the two editions?

Sharon, can you be a bit more precise as to precisely where the change is?  Can you cite page and line references to both the 10th and 11th editions that you think changed?   I'm looking at both editions and don't see such a change, but maybe I'm overlooking it.

I was looking at the Table of Rules Relating to Motions--

10th edition (softcover copy) page 13  (lists NA in the Amendable column)

11th edition (hardcover copy) page 13  (lists A in the Amendable column)

Thank you for looking at my question.  Based on reading the response from Hieu H Huynh, I think the 10th edition was a misprint.  My reasoning for thinking that is because I read pages 170-171 in the current edition and the previous edition contained similar (or perhaps exactly the same) text where it addressed amending the commit or refer.

Thank you both for generously responding to my inquiry.  I coach a parliamentary procedure team and just noticed that the Table of Rules didn't match between the two versions.  I appreciate the prompt response from both of you.

I was looking at the Table of Rules Relating to Motions--

10th edition (softcover copy) page 13  (lists NA in the Amendable column)

11th edition (hardcover copy) page 13  (lists A in the Amendable column)

Thank you both for generously responding to my inquiry.  I coach a parliamentary procedure team and just noticed that the Table of Rules didn't match between the two versions.  I appreciate the prompt response from both of you.

I noticed the same thing in the "tinted" pages of the table of rules about the same time you were typing that.  However, in my copy of the 10th edition, it says "NO" as to whether "Consider informally" is amendable.   You said that your copy of the 10 edition says "NA" as to whether it is amendable. My 11th edition, as does yours, says "YES" as to whether it is amendable. 

I don't know how to explain  the difference.  Maybe someone from the authorship team will weigh in.

I noticed the same thing in the "tinted" pages of the table of rules about the same time you were typing that.  However, in my copy of the 10th edition, it says "NO" as to whether "Consider informally" is amendable.   You said that your copy of the 10 edition says "NA" as to whether it is amendable. My 11th edition, as does yours, says "YES" as to whether it is amendable. 

I don't know how to explain  the difference.  Maybe someone from the authorship team will weigh in.

It's not just the tinted pages which were unclear in the tenth edition. In SDC 6 for the motion to Commit, the 10th edition included the sentence "A motion to consider informally is not amendable," (pg. 163) but the rest of the SDC suggested that the motion could be changed from any one of the five forms to another.

Archived