The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President Duties

Guest Rob

I am a president of a condo board of directors.  We have a 3 minute comment period for each speaker at our meetings.  I knew prior to the last meeting that 2 unit owners had an issue with each other.  At our last meeting each of these unit owners were give their 3 minute comment period.  I wanted to avoid a back and forth exchange of words between the 2 of them, so I denied one of the unit owners a second 3 minute period to rebut what the other had said.  Was it appropriate to deny a second 3 minute period? 

Also, what would be the proper procedure for a president to resign?

Entirely appropriate.  You were just enforcing the rules evenhandedly, I presume.

Based on your second question, I suspect there is more than a debate going on in your condo.

Two ways to resign:

1)  Sell your condo to some other sucke  investor.

2)  Next board, or general, meeting just say that you are tendering your resignation.  The catch is that it has to be accepted (§32) by whatever body will fill your position.  Or it may be that the vice-chairman will automatically become chair (check your bylaws), so the vacancy is in the V-P position. Your bylaws might require your resignation be in writing, or that is immediate - no acceptance required.  Ceck for that, too.h

All remarks at a meeting are supposed to be directed to the chair, not to another member.  Rules of decorum in debate:  RONR (11th ed), p. 392, ll. 5-35; p. 393, ll. 1-35; p. 394, ll. 1-22.

Yeah, but that might not apply during an "open forum", or "comment" portion of the meeting where non-board members get to have their say.  Rules for that portion are set by the Board  --  RONR has no say in the matter, p. 96.

Yeah, but that might not apply during an "open forum", or "comment" portion of the meeting where non-board members get to have their say.  Rules for that portion are set by the Board  --  RONR has no say in the matter, p. 96.

Nevertheless, experience indicates that this is still a good practice to enforce, for the same reasons that it's a rule during debate.  (Subject, as always to the will of the majority.)

Archived