The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Budget Question

jtc0601

Background: Previous BOD was asked to resigned. Interim BOD took over.  New BOD was elected.  No information, budget, past minutes, past reports, past procedures, access to website...etc.

Since then the new BOD has worked very hard to establish, procedures, created new website, created new events/fundraisers, etc.... Luckily when property was retrieved from very past BOD 2 boxes of past meeting minutes were found but none from the period the resigned BOD.  

Now question. We have an appreciation committee and they are going to ask BOD for funds for an event.  One of the committee members (who has been around quite awhile and quite frequently complains, which is normal for this group) asked the committee chair (who is a new member, but actively involved) if knew what we had in the annual budget for this event.  She knows that the current BOD did not receive any information including a budget and is in the process of creating one for the next year.  She is the one who chaired the Audit when the BOD resigned.  

Question: Is this committee allowed to even ask for funds if they is no budget in place? (our bylaws can be found on our website.  lccpaaa.org under the "Members" page if you need a reference.)  I'm stumped as to what advice I should give about this.  I am a committee member and also a BOD member.  Thanks!

Question: Is this committee allowed to even ask for funds if they is no budget in place?

Why not? The board can always say, "No. Not before we have a budget". Or the board can say, "Sure. We've got much more than that in the treasury".

Or the committee could bypass the board go directly to the general membership.

Archived