The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Session

Guest Guest

If an executive session is held for a disciplinary hearing, who has access to the minutes.  At this time a member has been found guilty and is wanting to appeal the decision to the membership. This person is requesting a copy of the executive session minutes.  Is this allowed? I believe they are allowed to see the minutes in the simplest form. Such as the charges and the verdict. The minutes this person is allowed to see should not include the debated and the actual vote. Is this correct?

If an executive session is held for a disciplinary hearing, who has access to the minutes.  At this time a member has been found guilty and is wanting to appeal the decision to the membership. This person is requesting a copy of the executive session minutes.  Is this allowed? I believe they are allowed to see the minutes in the simplest form. Such as the charges and the verdict. The minutes this person is allowed to see should not include the debated and the actual vote. Is this correct?

I doubt it.

it sounds like you are not following the disciplinary procedures in RONR Chapter XX (20).  So you must have customized rules, in (I hope) your bylaws that you are following.

In RONR, a member would not have to appeal a guilty verdict to the assembly, because the assembly would be the body where the member was tried.

In general, minutes must be made available to any member of the body that met, and not to non-members (of that body).

With respect to minutes, start at post #3 here  http://robertsrules.forumflash.com/index.php?/topic/24832-meeting-minutes/

If an executive session is held for a disciplinary hearing, who has access to the minutes. At this time a member has been found guilty and is wanting to appeal the decision to the membership. This person is requesting a copy of the executive session minutes. Is this allowed?

Members of the assembly which met have a right to see the minutes. If this person is a member of the assembly which held the disciplinary hearing, he has a right to see the minutes. If he is not, he does not. Even if this person has a right to view the minutes, he does not have a right to a copy.

I believe they are allowed to see the minutes in the simplest form. Such as the charges and the verdict.

He has a right to be informed of the charges (prior to the disciplinary hearing, in fact) and to be informed of the verdict, but there is no need to show him the minutes to inform him of these things.

The minutes this person is allowed to see should not include the debated and the actual vote. Is this correct?

He's either allowed to see the minutes or he isn't. There's no in-between right to see some sort of "redacted" version of minutes. Additionally, the minutes should not include the debate to begin with.

Archived