The Official RONR Q & A Forums

When is a new member listed as a member?

Guest Barbara Sawyer

Guest Barbara Sawyer

I have a new board member who attended the meeting where she was approved in the first action item of the meeting, and she subsequently voted on items later in the meeting.  In the minutes, I listed her in "members present", but someone is disputing that and saying she should be listed in "also present".  Can someone tell me which is correct?  Thanks.

Per RONR, someone takes possession of their elected (or appointed) office when the election (or appointment) is "final" p. 444.   At that point they have the right to vote, &c.

It sounds as though that possession took place at the start of your board meeting.  Any other time of taking possession would have to be specified in your bylaws.

In the minutes, I listed her in "members present", but someone is disputing that and saying she should be listed in "also present".  Can someone tell me which is correct? 

RONR doesn't require recording attendees in the minutes. If your rules do I suppose you could list this person among "also present" at the beginning of the meeting and then among "members present" for the remainder of the meeting. Placing her in both categories should confuse future readers of the minutes.

Archived