The Official RONR Q & A Forums

extra ordinary general meeting agenda

Guest Gary Brookes

If an executive calls an extraordinary general meeting to deal with one subject, can others add to this with ( say ) three members sponsoring that topic ?

And , is there any provision for the chair to eject an unruly meeting participant?

It seems that you are referring to what RONR calls a special meeting. Special meetings can properly be called only as authorized in the bylaws. The only business that can be transacted at a special meeting is that which has been specified in the call of the meeting. (see pp. 91-93 regarding special meetings)

See pp. 644-649 on "Dealing with Offenses in a Meeting".

If an executive calls an extraordinary general meeting to deal with one subject, can others add to this with ( say ) three members sponsoring that topic ?

Probably not.  Do your bylaws allow any three members to call a special meeting?  If not, then I think the same rule would apply to adding something to the call of a speclal meeting.

Also, the notice requirements for the special meeting would probably be working against you.  If the original call already went out, then is there actually time to amend it before the meeting takes place, and meet the requisite notice requirements?  I'm having hard time imagining how that would work, and nearly everything depends on exactly what your bylaws say.

And , is there any provision for the chair to eject an unruly meeting participant?

With the agreement of a majority, yes, but not on his own, unless the "participant" is a non-member for some reason.

Thank you Hieu and Gary.  I am our organization's VP who has been reluctantly thrust into the chair position because the Pres., as the result of being the recipient of an abusive verbal attack by another executive member , has recused himself from chairing any meetings on this subject.  Despite violating core values of our public institution sponsor and our own constitution, the individual who made the attack is mounting an aggressive defense , so I am double checking some rules to make certain what I believe to correct has some basis to it .  Thanks again.

Archived