The Official RONR Q & A Forums

What point in Annual mtg does the ballot counting take place

Guest April

OK, I lied.  I have one more question.  One of the board members said that the elections should be under new business..Our by-laws don't address this.  I say it should be before we go to any business,new or old right after the committee reports.  What are you thoughts.

A

OK, I lied.  I have one more question.  One of the board members said that the elections should be under new business..Our by-laws don't address this.  I say it should be before we go to any business,new or old right after the committee reports.  What are you thoughts.

A

RONR suggests elections be held early in the meeting.  RONR notes that the election may be handled under the class of business - Special Orders - which is right after committee reports (specifically, the report of Special Committees) in the standard order of business.

April, the reason for having elections early is to allow time for counting ballots and for repeat balloting if there is no winner on the first ballot.  You keep balloting until  someone finally receives a majority vote unless your bylaws provide otherwise.  if you wait until late in the meeting to have the elections, members can be stuck having to hand around a long time while trying to complete the election.

Archived