The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Certification Board

Guest D Murphy

It is my understanding that the members of an association or society have the power to define in their By-Laws the subset group names.  The exception is in that of choosing the “Board of Directors” or “Board of Trustees” as the Executive Administrative entity that will lead that particular association or society.

It is also my understanding that Roberts Rules of Order recognizes the subset group names “Board of Examiners” and “Board of Education”.  This understanding is in reading the latest Roberts Rules of Order edition.

Now, the particular society that I am a member, desires to establish a “Certification Board” as the subset entity that oversees the certification program in regard to tests, scheduling, coordination with test candidates, so forth.  The candidate’s certification is reviewed & vetted, and upon acceptance, the candidate’s certification is finalized and approved by the Board of Trustees.

The use of the subset group name “Certification Board” is in-line with several, if not all state, “Board of Examiners”, particularly in regard to the state licensure of testing candidates.

States, for a reason, do not term their subset licensure group, a “Committee of Examiners”.  The more substantial subset lexicon term “Board of Examiners” is used, as well it should be.

A ‘google search’ of the term “Certification Board” notes the use of the term Certification Board by several entities throughout the United States.

My question is - is there any violation of Roberts Rules of Order in having members recognize the member efforts, and, therefore, subset name within their association or society a “Certification Board”?

Thank you.

It is also my understanding that Roberts Rules of Order recognizes the subset group names “Board of Examiners” and “Board of Education”.  This understanding is in reading the latest Roberts Rules of Order edition.

Where in the current edition of RONR did you find reference to a "Board of Examiners" or a "Board of Education"?

My question is - is there any violation of Roberts Rules of Order in having members recognize the member efforts, and, therefore, subset name within their association or society a “Certification Board”?

No. The sentence you refer to which includes the terms "board of examiners" and "board of education" reads as follows: "A board may be assigned a particular function on behalf of a national, state, or local government, as a village board that operates like a small city council, a board of education, or a board of examiners." (RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 588-591) This is simply a list of examples. The list is not exhaustive and a society is not required to use these terms.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived