The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Debating a Nomination

JerryRig

A committee is to be elected at a special called meeting.  No motion is necessary and the moderator goes immediately into the nomination process. 

After the nominees are selected, can the nominees be debated?

If so, I assume the debate would consist of members speaking for/against the various nominees.

If they can be debated, does the moderator open the floor for debate even though there is no initial motion?

"A nomination is, in effect, a proposal to fill the blank in an assumed motion "that _______ be elected" to the specified position." (RONR 11th ed., p. 430, ll. 4-6)

"Proposals to fill a blank in a debatable motion are debatable." (p. 164, ll. 24-25)

Nominations are debatable. (see tinted pp. 18-19, #49)

I had "assumed" the references you state were referring to the proposal  (motion) and not the actual nominees. 

I had thought the nomination was a process that could be debated before the nomination motion was passed and after the actual nomination process was completed, the nominees could not be debated (for and against) before being voted on.

I had "assumed" the references you state were referring to the proposal  (motion) and not the actual nominees. 

I had thought the nomination was a process that could be debated before the nomination motion was passed and after the actual nomination process was completed, the nominees could not be debated (for and against) before being voted on.

JerryRig, would you explain a bit better what you are trying to say in the two quoted sentences? 

There are ways to discuss and debate nominations even after nominations are closed, but I want to be sure just what you are trying to say and what you are asking in those two sentences.  Would you try again?  You use several words and terms in ways that I don't understand.

Apologize for not being clear.

Let me tell you what I thought was correct and you then can evaluate.

In a normal nomination and election process a motion is made and passes.  Next, members, one by one, make a nomination.   I had understood a second for the nominee could be made but was not required.  If the second was made, it was to be a show of support for the nominee and not a 2-3 minute debate. Eventually the members stop making nominations and the election takes place. 

A member making a nomination or a second may say a complementary sentence about his nominee, but not a 2 - 3 minute debate.

In an upcoming committee selection, a member had mentioned to me that he wanted to give a 2-3 minute talk for a nominee, even though he was not the original member making the nomination of that member.  Also, the supportive 2-3 minute talk would not be made right after a member was originally nominated, but after other nominations had been made.

Hope this is more clear and I look forward to you fellows/ladies straightening me out.

For what is perhaps more than you ever wanted to know about this subject you can read through this thread.

In the normal nomination and election process, no motion is necessary and none is made. You are apparently thinking of a situation in which a motion was first adopted creating a committee and the assembly is now proceeding to elect committee members, but all of this appears to be irrelevant.

When debating nominations, the normal rules relating to the length and number of speeches, and to the modification of such rules, apply (see pp. 387-91).

Archived