The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resolutions with two or more :"Therefore, be it resolved that ..."

Guest Guy Savard

If a Resolution has two or more "THEREFORE " statements how is it handled?  For example, 

(1)   Is each "Therefore": statement considered a "motion" in itself,  that is, does each "Therefore" statement requires a separate vote? 

(2)  .can two topics though related but significantly different be grouped under one (s) single "Therefore, be it resolved"    

I suspect "yes" to (1) and "no: to (2) but I would like to confirm as I am still in the "learning curve" regarding "RRO" and some of my colleagues have different views on both topics.  Any reference to specific RRO section would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

See pp.108-109 for the correct form for a resolution with more than one preamble clause (the "Whereas" parts) and/or more than one action to be taken (the "Resolved, that . . . " parts).

"Therefore" (or "Therefore, be it") is sometimes added after the preamble. Just once.

The entire resolution is considered as a single motion. If separate votes are desired, separate resolutions should be considered.

Edited at 1:36 to add: See also pp.274-275 for motions that must be divided (i.e. separated) at the request of a single (i.e. unmarried) member.

However, many resolutions will be written in the form of "Therefore be it resolved ..." and then "Be it further resolved ..."  

If the resolution relates " to a single subject contains several parts, each of which is capable of standing as a complete proposition if the others are removed, the parts can be separated to be considered and voted on as if they were distinct questions—by adoption of the motion for Division of a Question (or "to divide the question")." [page 270].

"Sometimes a series of independent resolutions relating to completely different subjects is offered by a single main motion in the same way. In the latter case—where the subjects are independent—any resolution in the series must be taken up and voted on separately at the demand of a single member." [page 110]

-Bob 

Archived