The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Making a new motion based on a previous motion

Guest Barb

When a motion has been made and voted on (such as a motion to do eliminate a particular process in an organization); can a new motion be made and seconded for a vote to have the said particular process in the organization remain in place until a new process is designed?  Therefore, not reconsidering the first motion, but asking for the first motion to be delayed until a new process is put in place.

The adopted motion is in effect until it is rescinded or amended. I think the adopted motion could be amended to include a proviso when the motion will go into effect. A motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted requires a two-thirds vote, a majority vote with notice, or a vote of a majority of the entire membership.

The adopted motion is in effect until it is rescinded or amended. I think the adopted motion could be amended to include a proviso when the motion will go into effect. A motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted requires a two-thirds vote, a majority vote with notice, or a vote of a majority of the entire membership.

I'd like to understand how this works.  For example, could a motion be adopted in January, but then in February could the membership amend the original motion by adding a proviso that it doesn't take effect again until March?  I've not heard of a proviso being used like this.

Say a process is in effect. In January, a motion was adopted to eliminate this process. In February, a motion was adopted to amend the previously adopted motion and bring back this process with a proviso that it will be eliminated in March. I don't see why this couldn't be done.

Perhaps Guest_Barb could provide more details on the particular process.

I agree with Mr. Huynh's suggestion.  I believe the proper procedure is to use the motion to amend something previously adopted to put the process back into place for a certain period of time.  Or, the original motion can be rescinded in its entirety, but I'm not sure that would bring the old process back.  It might leave you with no process.  :o

Archived