The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Informal Discussion

NancyB

After all items on the agenda at a recent general meeting of condominium  owners had been addressed, to my surprise various owners raised questions about a variety of topics which were discussed for some time until, finally, an owner moved adjournment; the movement was seconded and the meeting officially ended. The discussion was completely informal w/ the president and others voicing their opinions. Is there any precedent for allowing such? I certainly could not find any in RONR. If allowable, how would it be reported in the minutes?

"Good of the Order, General Good and Welfare, or Open Forum. This heading, included by some types of societies in their order of business, refers to the general welfare of the organization, and may vary in character. Under this heading (in contrast to the general parliamentary rule that allows discussion only with reference to a pending motion), members who obtain the floor commonly are permitted to offer informal observations regarding the work of the organization, the public reputation of the society or its membership, or the like. Certain types of announcements may tend to fall here."  RONR (11th ed.), p. 362

So it's not unheard of in RONR and while I suppose the minutes could note this heading occurred, the discusson itself would not be reported.

"Good of the Order, General Good and Welfare, or Open Forum. This heading, included by some types of societies in their order of business, refers to the general welfare of the organization, and may vary in character. Under this heading (in contrast to the general parliamentary rule that allows discussion only with reference to a pending motion), members who obtain the floor commonly are permitted to offer informal observations regarding the work of the organization, the public reputation of the society or its membership, or the like. Certain types of announcements may tend to fall here."  RONR (11th ed.), p. 362

So it's not unheard of in RONR and while I suppose the minutes could note this heading occurred, the discusson itself would not be reported.

Thanks so much! I'd never have discovered this on my own. NancyB

Archived