The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion made by non-voting member

Guest Drew Jones

In our group, members can only be considered a "voting member" when they sign a conflict of interest letter.  This is required every year at our planning meeting.  I saw this discussion because we had an important vote started by a motion entered by a "non-voting" member.  I'm wondering if the motion is considered legitimate under Robert's Rules. 

I saw this discussion because we had an important vote started by a motion entered by a "non-voting" member.  I'm wondering if the motion is considered legitimate under Robert's Rules. 

If the only right of membership that's absent is the right to vote, all other rights of membership (e.g. the right to attend meetings, the right to make motions, the right to speak in debate) remain.

For future reference, this forum works best if you post your new question as a new topic, even if you find an existing (month-old) topic that's similar. In other words, think of this as Ms. Prescott's topic.

In our group, members can only be considered a "voting member" when they sign a conflict of interest letter. This is required every year at our planning meeting. I saw this discussion because we had an important vote started by a motion entered by a "non-voting" member. I'm wondering if the motion is considered legitimate under Robert's Rules.

The motion is legitimate. Whether or not a "non-voting member" can make a motion is a question your society will have to determine, since there is no such thing as a "non-voting member" in RONR. See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 588-591 for some Principles of Interpretation. Even if it is determined that such a member cannot make a motion, however, it's too late to raise a Point of Order regarding that issue now.

• 4 years later...
On 5/13/2015 at 8:33 PM, Edgar Guest said:

As a member of a non-profit following Roberts Rules, can I make a motion at a general membership meeting or a board meeting if I am not a member of the board?

For future reference, this forum works best if you post your new question as a new topic, even if you find an existing (month-old) topic that's similar. In other words, think of this as Ms. Prescott's topic.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.