The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Partial Acceptance of a Report

Guest Dianne Jones

As President of an organization, I receive Officer reports prior to our monthly chapter meetings. I am aware of misquotes from a Procedures Manual as well as a recommendation made as if it is part of the Manual, but isn't, that has been included in the Vice Presdient's report. The rest of the report is correct. How and when do I address this in regards to presenting her report as partially accepted?

The problem is resolved by noting, p. 508, that it isn't proper to formally receive or accept a report by motion at all.  Just file (and forget).

If there are factual errors,  misquotations, or the like in the text of the report, these could be pointed out, informally, to the author before the report is given to the assembly. Get it corrected ahead of time, if possible.

If a recommendation - a motion - is part of the report (and the assembly would act upon that motion, not the "entire" report), then the relevant factual errors that relate to the motion can be pointed out during the debate on the motion.

As President of an organization, I receive Officer reports prior to our monthly chapter meetings.

Is this required? Just a courtesy? Do you have the authority to reject (and/or modify) the report?

Do you also receive the minutes before they're submitted to the assembly for approval?

Nothing in RONR requires that officers' reports (or minutes) be submitted to the president before being presented to the assembly.

That said, I agree with Mr. Stackpole that you should inform the officer of any factual errors prior to the report's presentation.

How and when do I address this in regards to presenting her report as partially accepted?

I think you need to restate this question or provide additional facts if you want any meaningful response. As far as the rules in RONR are concerned, you, as President, do not present the report of anyone else, and certainly not as having been either partially or totally accepted.

My guess is that you have something in your rules that relate to this that we know nothing about. Simply saying that "reports are required by the organization prior to the scheduled meetings" doesn't shed much light on the matter.

Archived