The Official RONR Q & A Forums

question about who can authorize a guest to speak or comment

Tom Morelock

Are you referring to non-voting members or to non-members?  You used both terms. 

If you are referring to non-voting members (of the board), although it is ultimately up to your organization to interpret its own bylaws, most of us on this forum are of the opinion that non-voting members retain all rights of membership except the right to vote.... meaning they have the right to debate and make motions.

Non-members are a different matter.

Sorry about the confusion. in this case it would be members of the organization who would be simply observing their association's board members having a board meeting, where they would not have a vote as they are not members of the board. I ask this question as i anticipate that i will be asked about some things that i am far more knowledgeable about than any of the current board members, particularly the President who wouldn't know the RR book if it jumped up and bit him. ( just one of the many reasons i am running against him this year) and of course the last thing the President wants is for the other board members to ask me for advice. so basically i guess the real question is, if they want my advice or ask me to speak, can he over rule them?

The board can permit you to speak. Or not. The president can't "overrule" this. He's just the president.

I agree with Mr. Guest.  If the president tries to prevent you from speaking, you need friends on the board who will either appeal from the ruling of the chair or will make and second (and support)  a motion to allow you to speak.    The board is in charge, not the president.  But since you aren't a board member, you don't even have the right to speak without their approval, so you need board members to make that happen for you.  This needs to be pre-arranged.

I don't necessarily want to speak, but i know some on the board may wan't me to. as far as a point of order or an appeal etc the current President has no idea what that even means let alone how to handle it. the meeting will be this Saturday i will let you guys know if anything entertaining happens. Thanks for the help.  

• 3 weeks later...

Can you direct me to the Rule that addresses this issue? We have staff members who attend our meetings to provide reports, and answer questions related to their specific work areas. I have one who, due to her years of service, seems to feel it is appropriate to participate in whatever discussion is taking place, and even to challenge board members on their comments. I know it is inappropriate. I just want to cite the correct Rule.

Can you direct me to the Rule that addresses this issue? We have staff members who attend our meetings to provide reports, and answer questions related to their specific work areas. I have one who, due to her years of service, seems to feel it is appropriate to participate in whatever discussion is taking place, and even to challenge board members on their comments. I know it is inappropriate. I just want to cite the correct Rule.

Which issue?  The footnote on page 263 provides that non members may be granted the right to speak in debate by a two-thirds vote:  "*In contrast, the rules may be suspended to allow a nonmember to speak in debate."

Edited to add:  See also pages 644-645 and 648 for more information on  the "rights" (or lack thereof) by nonmembers.

Archived