The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Moved Meeting Time - Special Meeting

keefe

Our bylaws do not allow for special meetings of our church council much to the dismay of many of our members.  It has been presented in an email to our members that we should move our meeting time up one week so we can deal with business that cannot wait until our regular meeting.  Would it be accurate to say that the meeting would be a special meeting and is not allowed?   

Would it be accurate to say that the meeting would be a special meeting and is not allowed?   

Not that it makes much difference but I think it would be more accurate to say that a regular meeting was rescheduled. And that's not allowed (without amending the bylaws or whatever rule established the schedule of regular meetings).

In any case, if it's really something that can't wait one week (e.g. the church is on fire), the council members could take action with the hope (prayer?) that their individual action would later be ratified by the council.

When a committee does not set or have a set time to meet, it meets at the call of the chair. I can think of no reason why a church council would not follow that same rule (presumably, that is how the first meeting was called). So, when you say the meeting times have been the same for 25 years, does that mean the council just got in the habit of meeting at the same time or that they voted to meet at that time every month?

Though I think this council is more like a board than a committee. If it makes a difference.

Yeah, I imagine you're right. I don't know of anything in RONR that says what to do if a board doesn't have a set time to meet, though it does for a committee. But I can't think of any reason why a board shouldn't just do what a committee would do in that situation. If they don't want to meet at the call of the chair, they should set a time to meet.

When a committee does not set or have a set time to meet, it meets at the call of the chair. I can think of no reason why a church council would not follow that same rule (presumably, that is how the first meeting was called). So, when you say the meeting times have been the same for 25 years, does that mean the council just got in the habit of meeting at the same time or that they voted to meet at that time every month?

Timothy,

Each month our meeting is published in our Church bulletin on the Sunday prior to our meeting, as to how the meeting times where orginally decided I don't have an answer for that.  I have been advocating to have our meeting dates and times put into our bylaws but have been met with resistance because many feel that it is too restrictive.  I don't feel the same because we keep meeting on the same Thursday at the same time every month.

I'd probably argue that once the time of the meeting has been announced, it can't be rescheduled to an earlier time.

As for the proposed agenda, see FAQ #14.

I tend to agree, though my opinion on that could differ depending on whether it is the chair who asked for the meeting time to be published or whether someone just happened to know that the council meet at that time each month and started publishing the date and time.

I would believe it to be the latter.  However in this specific case it isn't the Chairman that is requesting the meeting time be moved up but a member.

In the long run, this really is something that needs to be sorted out in your bylaws. If the organization thinks specifying a particular date is too restrictive, it should at least specify who has the authority to schedule the meetings.

In the meantime, since the council has a long-standing custom regarding when its meetings are held, it seems to me that only the council itself has the authority to change that custom.

In the long run, this really is something that needs to be sorted out in your bylaws. If the organization thinks specifying a particular date is too restrictive, it should at least specify who has the authority to schedule the meetings.

In the meantime, since the council has a long-standing custom regarding when its meetings are held, it seems to me that only the council itself has the authority to change that custom.

Josh,

When would the council be able to make that change?  At the next meeting for future meetings or before the meeting for the upcoming one?

Archived