The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Member Expelled, Still Member of Member Club

JayW

Our national parent club recently expelled a member, following the procedures in our Bylaws with a 2/3 vote, etc. The Bylaws don't say anything past the point of expulsion -- if the vote carries, the member is expelled, and that's that. Our club, however, also has clubs that are members, and the expelled person is still a member of a member club.

The national club has a few awards programs, for which members of member clubs are also eligible. The expelled member, post-expulsion, qualified for one of these awards. The general feeling of the Board is that expelled members should not be eligible for national awards, regardless of local club membership. We do not have written standing rules and the awards policy is decades old, so finding the original wording is challenging, to say the least.

We are currently revising our Bylaws. Is there something we could/should/need to add to the Bylaws to clarify that expulsion disqualifies one for any awards? Or can we update the awards policy (or, essentially, rewrite it) as a standing rules change, to note that one must be in good standing with the parent club to qualify? (Can one be in good standing if one is not/was not a member?)

I have looked through The Book but don't seem to find anything that really applies. Which I realize may mean this question isn't really appropriate here, in which case please let me know and I apologize! Thanks for any insight!

We do not have written standing rules and the awards policy is decades old, so finding the original wording is challenging, to say the least.

This is a problem that needs to be rectified immediately. The Secretary should keep a record of all standing rules. At a minimum, this should be done going forward. It would be even better to read through the old minutes and compile any existing standing rules.

Is there something we could/should/need to add to the Bylaws to clarify that expulsion disqualifies one for any awards? Or can we update the awards policy (or, essentially, rewrite it) as a standing rules change, to note that one must be in good standing with the parent club to qualify?

Either of these things is an option, but I think a standing rule would be better than an amendment to the bylaws.

(Can one be in good standing if one is not/was not a member?)

The definition in RONR for good standing (footnote, pg. 6) applies exclusively to members. Your organization could define "good standing" differently, if it wishes to do so.

Archived