The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How to write executive session item in regular minutes

Andy Travis

Does the motion to go into executive session go in the regular minutes (non- executive minutes)?

Also, do you list the agenda item in the regular minutes and then just put the motion to go into executive session as what is written for that agenda item. Or do you just leave the agenda item out completely from the regular minutes?

Though it's not required by RONR, I think most here think it's a good idea to keep the minutes of meetings (or portions thereof) held in executive session separate from the minutes of meetings (or portions thereof) that are not.

On the other hand, the minutes shouldn't include discussion so there might not be much to record during the portion of the meeting that's held in executive session (if confidential discussion is the reason for meeting in executive session).

Edited at 2:45 PM to add: I see that I didn't actually answer Mr. Travis' questions.

1. Yes, the motion to enter into executive session belongs in the "regular" minutes since it was adopted before the assembly went into executive session. But, as noted, there don't necessarily have to be two sets of minutes.

2. If the adopted agenda (see FAQ #14) is included in the minutes I think it should be entered in its entirety.

Archived