The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Change Regular Meetng Date

Guest Karen

I think it would require the vote necessary to adopt the motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted. In this case, I think it would require a two-thirds vote, a majority vote with previous notice, or a vote of a majority of the entire membership.

Edited to add that as noted below, it will ultimately be up to your organization to interpret your bylaws.

What is the vote requirement to order a one time change date for a regular monthly meeting, if it is allowed in the bylaws by order of the Society or the Executive Board?

It will ultimately be up to the society to interpret its own bylaws, but I would say that, generally speaking, a majority vote would be sufficient. For instance, I believe that when the sample bylaws in RONR provide that "The regular meetings of the Society shall be held on the second Tuesday of each month from September to May inclusive unless otherwise ordered by the Society," the society may adopt such an order by a majority vote.

Can you please point to this in RONR?  I see the language on meetings in the sample bylaws.  However, I need to reference RONR for the required vote for the order.

There's nothing in RONR directly addressing this subject. See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 588-591 for some Principles of Interpretation for bylaws.

What is the vote requirement to order a one time change date for a regular monthly meeting, if it is allowed in the bylaws by order of the Society or the Executive Board?

If the rule provides for its own suspension in the bylaws, and mentions no special threshold for the vote, then the default of a majority vote would appear to apply.

But since we can't interpret your bylaws for you, the final interpretation is up to your society.

Archived