The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Stopping election of officers

Guest James S

214 voting members. Nomination from the floor 1 person, seconded. Current board to fill vacancy, board collected 43 proxy votes.

Nominations closed, ballots passed out, election begins. A member blerted out, "i vote to stop election for now".his sister said " I second" Was that allowed? Or are they out of order? There were about 45 members present. Board would not collect the votes, went on with other business.

While I can't figure out the election process being described, there is no valid reason that a person saying they want to stop an election (seconded or not) should stop the election.  The only exceptions I can think of would be if the member said something like "I think we should stop the election for now, the hall is on fire" or "I think we should stop the election for now, everyone but the two of us has passed out from carbon monoxide exposure."  Since none of those things are mentioned, I would presume they didn't happen.

Even if the election were not underway, while there might be various things this member can dp, bilaterally stopping election without a motion or vote of any kind (other than his erroneously saying "I vote") would not be among them.

214 voting members. Nomination from the floor 1 person, seconded. Current board to fill vacancy, board collected 43 proxy votes.

Nominations closed, ballots passed out, election begins. A member blerted out, "i vote to stop election for now".his sister said " I second" Was that allowed? Or are they out of order? There were about 45 members present. Board would not collect the votes, went on with other business.

What does "Current board to fill vacancy" have to do with the elections? Is this a meeting of the general membership? Also, is proxy voting authorized in your bylaws (see FAQ #10)?

Archived