The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Speaker continuing to talk after time is up?

Guest Kate

If time runs out when someone is still taking, must they finish their sentence, or do they hold the floor until they are done with whatever they wanted to say? We've run into this problem in meetings recently. Any textual support related to this question would be greatly appreciated. 

Additionally, if time runs out and you make a motion to extend time, do you still hold the floor if the motion to extend time passes?

!0 minutes (or whatever) is ten minutes:  time to sit down and shut up. (Or vice versa.)

I suppose the chair could let the speaker finish his/her sentence (unless the speaker's name is M. Proust), but that's it.  If the chair gets lax, you will be there all night.

Keep the floor?  I suppose so, seems fair, but I don't think there is any text in RONR to back that up.

If time runs out when someone is still taking, must they finish their sentence, or do they hold the floor until they are done with whatever they wanted to say?

"When a member's time is exhausted, the chair rises and—if the member does not immediately conclude his remarks—calls his attention to the fact by an appropriate signal, or by interrupting him if necessary."

RONR (11th ed.), p. 388, l.3-6

Archived