The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Fix the time at which to adjourn

JerryRig

A committee report is to be given and a committee motion may be made after the report but during this report time.  This report time would occur before unfinished business and new business.

Can the previously mentioned motion to set the time for the meeting to adjourn no later than 6 PM be made before the committee chairman makes the committee motion?

A committee report is to be given and a committee motion may be made after the report but during this report time.  This report time would occur before unfinished business and new business.

Can the previously mentioned motion to set the time for the meeting to adjourn no later than 6 PM be made before the committee chairman makes the committee motion?

As you know, a motion to fix the time at which to adjourn is a main motion, and can be made only at a time when no business is pending. You cannot interrupt the committee chairman once he has begun to make his report, and since he will move the adoption of a motion at the conclusion of his report, you will have to wait until this motion has been disposed of.

I just went through the potential length of the meeting and realized that by the time the motion in the Report part of the agenda was disposed of and the motion in the Unfinished Business portion of the meeting was disposed of, the 6 pm adjourn time would already be exceeded.

Can a motion be made to suspend the rules before the reports start?  Or before the Unfinished Business starts?  The rule suspension would be to permit the motion to set the time for the meeting to adjourn.  If passed, then the motion to set the adjourn time could be made.

I just went through the potential length of the meeting and realized that by the time the motion in the Report part of the agenda was disposed of and the motion in the Unfinished Business portion of the meeting was disposed of, the 6 pm adjourn time would already be exceeded.

Can a motion be made to suspend the rules before the reports start?  Or before the Unfinished Business starts?  The rule suspension would be to permit the motion to set the time for the meeting to adjourn.  If passed, then the motion to set the adjourn time could be made.

Yes, the motion to Suspend the Rules that you propose would be in order, and requires a 2/3 vote, but there are plenty of other options. For one, you could just move to Adjourn at 6:00 PM (or as close as possible). The unqualified form of the motion to adjourn is a privileged motion, and therefore is in order while other business is pending.

Additionally, as has previously been noted, an incidental main motion to fix the time at which to adjourn must be made while no business is pending, but no one has suggested that it is necessary to wait for New Business in order to make this motion. You can't interrupt pending motions or reports, but you can make the motion before the chair states the question on a motion in Unfinished Business, for example.

If your assembly regularly adopts an agenda, you have yet another option. You could move to amend the agenda to include the scheduled adjournment at 6:00 PM.

At the last business meeting, the motion we are to cover in Unfinished Business was pending but discontinued before final vote. 

I had thought (and it seems wrongly) that once that motion was made pending at the previous meeting, it stayed in that condition until final resolution.  Therefore, that motion would be pending when the new business meeting was brought to order and there would be no time in Unfinished Business that the unfinished motion was not pending.  If what I state is correct, then there would be no time in Unfinished Business when the chair can state the incidental main motion.

Please explain where I have gone wrong.

At the last business meeting, the motion we are to cover in Unfinished Business was pending but discontinued before final vote.

I had thought (and it seems wrongly) that once that motion was made pending at the previous meeting, it stayed in that condition until final resolution. Therefore, that motion would be pending when the new business meeting was brought to order and there would be no time in Unfinished Business that the unfinished motion was not pending. If what I state is correct, then there would be no time in Unfinished Business when the chair can state the incidental main motion.

Please explain where I have gone wrong.

When a motion is disposed of, even temporarily, it is no longer pending. The motion doesn't become pending again until it's back before the assembly for consideration.

Archived