The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Number of votes of committee members on a Board

Guest Joan Bloom

I need to know if the following paragraph is from the Robert's Rules of Order.  We have a OPPM revision committee going through our OPPM and we don't know if this needs to stay in nor do we know what it really means.

We have a Board of Trustees and Committees that answer to the Board.  Some Trustees are also on the Committees.  We do not have a concern at this point about this number of votes, as the Board is very small.  However, the Board has the potential to increase its size.

Hopefully you can explain this to us, or at least tell us if this is something that would come from the Robert's Rules manual.  I was unable to find a reference to this when I searched.

Any committee, with the exception of the Executive Committee, may not have at any one time, more than two full board votes on matters pertaining to that Committee. 

Thank you

Joan

I am not aware of any such line in RONR.  If it were in RONR, that would neither imply that your governing documents should have such a rule, or that they should not, or that your organization couldn't adopt a different rule.  

It seems that your organization has (in what document?) such a rule - one that I would have some difficulty interpreting if we interpreted ruled here, but luckily for me, its interpretation is up to your organization.  

I need to know if the following paragraph is from the Robert's Rules of Order.  We have a OPPM revision committee going through our OPPM and we don't know if this needs to stay in nor do we know what it really means.

We have a Board of Trustees and Committees that answer to the Board.  Some Trustees are also on the Committees.  We do not have a concern at this point about this number of votes, as the Board is very small.  However, the Board has the potential to increase its size.

Hopefully you can explain this to us, or at least tell us if this is something that would come from the Robert's Rules manual.  I was unable to find a reference to this when I searched.

Any committee, with the exception of the Executive Committee, may not have at any one time, more than two full board votes on matters pertaining to that Committee. 

Thank you

Joan

No, that rule does not come from Robert's Rules.

No, it's not from RONR.  And even if it were, it would not have to "stay in".  In fact if it were in RONR, deleting it would be a good idea, since it's already covered in RONR.

A better reason to delete it is that it doesn't appear to make much sense.  If nobody knows what it means, it's a useless rule at best.  How will you know if you're following it, or know when you're breaking it?

Archived