The Official RONR Q & A Forums

adjourn meeting before vote can be recorded

Guest pam

I'm not sure I follow this.  The vote to adjourn was negative, but the chair left the meeting?  The chair should have stayed and continued with business.  The vote on the motion of the park committee would be legal, whether or not it was recorded.  At the next meeting, a member should move to correct the minutes to record the vote.  But:  most committees don't have minutes--so I'm assuming it's your custom to have them.

The park Committee had a vote and it was 5 to 2 with the yeas taking it. Before anything was said the chair Adjourned the meeting with a vote of 5 to 2 not to adjourn the chair left the room the vote was not recorded is this legal. Dose the vote stand.

Did the chair declare the motion adopted? If not, did anyone raise a Point of Order? Did anyone raise a Point of Order when the chair improperly declared the meeting adjourned? Did the assembly elect a Chairman Pro Tempore after the chair left?

In any event, I'd recommend the committee report the chair's behavior to the parent assembly, so that it can (hopefully) promptly replace him.

I'm not sure I follow this. The vote to adjourn was negative, but the chair left the meeting? The chair should have stayed and continued with business. The vote on the motion of the park committee would be legal, whether or not it was recorded. At the next meeting, a member should move to correct the minutes to record the vote. But: most committees don't have minutes--so I'm assuming it's your custom to have them.

I concur that failing to adjourn the meeting would not invalidate the vote, but we are also told that the chair improperly declared the meeting adjourned before anything was said. This may mean that the chair did not declare the motion adopted. This is improper, but if no timely Point of Order was raised, then it seems the motion was not adopted. Since the motion was still made, the minutes (if they are taken) should still be corrected.

So if a motion is pending at the end of a special committee meeting, it's not still pending at the beginning of the next meeting, which is a continuation of the same session (p.500, l.1-2)?

Actually I would advise them to pick up right where they left off and bring it up again immediately, but that's not the same thing as coming up under a heading of "unfinished business", which is what your first two questions relate to.

Archived