The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Session

Jim Anderson

Is it appropriate for a Board member to send an email (to the Board including the Chair) requesting the Chair call an "executive session" be convened for the purpose of considering new information in regard to the subject of a previous Board meeting's executive session, where the previous session formed a committee to investigate the subject and adjourned without mention of a "follow-up" meeting? Board members understood that any further action on the subject would be taken up in "executive session" due to the sensitive nature of the subject. 

RONR states procedures for calling "special meetings" and that during any meeting, the Board can enter "executive session" however I cannot find where the latter can be specifically called. I understand that any "special meeting" requires notice and in the case of our organization, any alternative meeting of the Board requires three days notice to Board members and the general membership (non-Board members are welcome to attend our Board meetings).

Note: After several days, the Chair "responded to all" (Board members) on the email with abusive language aimed at the Board member initiating the email and request. 

Well, I can tell you one thing that isn't appropriate for sure...

You are correct, you would call a special meeting and ask that an executive session be put on the agenda - which is exactly how I'd understand this request, and would not respond to this mistake with abusive language.  The chair cannot unilaterally order an executive session - if placed onto the agenda, the agenda would have to be approved, and if moved at a meeting, it requires a majority vote.  However, depending on how your email system works, you'd want to be careful about saying things like "I'd like to request an executive session on the topic of X.  As we discussed at the last executive session {stuff about X}.."

However, I feel like I'm not getting to the heart of the question.  What would be inappropriate about this request?

Thank you for your response. I personally do not think the request inappropriate (other than requesting executive session be called however the Chair exhibits a very controlling personality and apparently took great offense to the request being sent "all Board members copied" without first running the request by the Chair.

Best regards

36 minutes ago, Gary Novosielski said:

If the matter was referred to a committee, then it's in the committee's hands until the committee either reports back, or is discharged from considering it.  Until then the assembly has no business having a meeting about it.

If the assembly wished to discharge the committee, it would need to do so at a meeting, wouldn't it?

8 minutes ago, Godelfan said:

If the assembly wished to discharge the committee, it would need to do so at a meeting, wouldn't it?

Yes.  But it sounded like the special meeting was to consider practically the same question as was in the hands of the committee.  The assembly cannot do so.  

A motion to Discharge requires a 2/3 vote, or majority with previous notice, or majority of the entire membership.  And if it's to be taken up at a special meeting it needs to be mentioned in the call.

Archived