The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Session Minutes

JerryRig

Yes and no:

• The release of a hard copy beyond the control of the secretary (i.e., beyond the secretary's sphere of trust and security) is not advisable, as that hard copy can escape the possession of the individual member. So, in this case, "No".

• Every member of a given body has 100% access to the minutes of that body, even minutes of executive session, even outside of a properly called meeting under executive session. -- So, YES, if the hard copy is produced in such a way where a member never gets the opportunity to "lose" or "distribute" the hard copy to a non-member, then the letter and spirit of executive session is preserved.

Example:

In a board of 12 members, 12 hard copies could be distributed, read, discussed, and then all 12 copies collected (and perhaps destroyed) when the amendment/approval process is complete. -- And the secretary maintains the single official copy.

The board, here, is free to modify its executive session status, such as "allowing each board member to keep secure his own hard copy."

Executive session is imposed by the body itself on itself, so the body itself may impose as much executive-session secrecy, or open-ness, as it wishes for itself.

36 minutes ago, JerryRig said:

I am working with a committee.  Does the fact that I am working with a committee in lieu of a board make a difference?  Also, is everything that is discussed in a committee required to be confidential?  If so, are committees required to be in permanent executive session?

The answer to all 3 of your questions is, no.

47 minutes ago, JerryRig said:

Q1. Does the fact that I am working with a committee in lieu of a board make a difference? 

Q2. Is everything that is discussed in a committee required to be confidential

Q3. If so, are committees required to be in permanent executive session?

Since the answer to Q3 is "no" (assuming the default parliamentary rules under Robert's Rules of Order), then that status implies that Q1 and Q2 are moot.

Executive session is something which is imposed, as a special case by the body, and does not exist by default. -- Yet RONR does mention the case where lodge-system organizations are in the opposite state, i.e., where all meetings are assumed to be in executive session, and the exceptions are those meetings which are explicitly lifted from the burden of executive session.

3 hours ago, JerryRig said:

I am working with a committee.  Does the fact that I am working with a committee in lieu of a board make a difference?  Also, is everything that is discussed in a committee required to be confidential?  If so, are committees required to be in permanent executive session?

Committees don't habitually take minutes, confidential or otherwise.

Archived