The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion Arising from Committee Information Report

JayW

I apologize if this is really a very basic question, but I find The Book to be a bit ambiguous on this topic (or at least, on the pages I found to read -- I absolutely may have missed some!).

When a committee gives an information report, with no recommendations, is it proper for a member of the assembly to make a motion related to that committee/report? Or should that be saved for New Business?

For example, say the clubhouse committee reported that the clubhouse had been rented 4 days in the past month, and was booked for two dates in the coming month, and there were no other matters of importance regarding the clubhouse. When the report was finished, could a member then make a motion that the clubhouse be painted red?

1 hour ago, JayW said:

I apologize if this is really a very basic question, but I find The Book to be a bit ambiguous on this topic (or at least, on the pages I found to read -- I absolutely may have missed some!).

When a committee gives an information re

port, with no recommendations, is it proper for a member of the assembly to make a motion related to that committee/report? Or should that be saved for New Business?

For example, say the clubhouse committee reported that the clubhouse had been rented 4 days in the past month, and was booked for two dates in the coming month, and there were no other matters of importance regarding the clubhouse. When the report was finished, could a member then make a motion that the clubhouse be painted red?

53 minutes ago, George Mervosh said:

It's appropriate to make it if it relates to the committee's report, yes.

I don't disagree, but wonder if a motion to paint the clubhouse red is really related to a report of the clubhouse committee that only address the days that the clubhouse has been rented and does not get into the issue of maintenance or painting of the clubhouse.  Perhaps that's a judgment call on the part of the chair, subject to an appeal. I think that if I was the chair, I would say that I don't think the motion is directly related to the report and would ASK the member if he would mind waiting for new business to make his motion.

Archived