The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Limit Debate

D.Llama

A motion to limit debate,  for no longer than 30 minutes,   is made on all pending motions - and carried .Pending are the main motion and the motion to postpone indefinitely . A motion is then made to amend the main motion . Is the motion to amend  in order ? If it is- is it  subject to the motion to limit debate  to no longer than 30 minutes ?  

Yes, a motion "To Amend" outranks the pending motion, "To Postpone Indefinitely."

Yes, any motion made while the clock ticks for a limit of debate will continue to tick off seconds from the time period.

Put another way: A motion To Amend won't extend a 30-minute limit of debate.

At the end of 30 minutes, the chair will announce that debate is closed, and all the pending motions (analogy: stacked up like cafeteria trays on a spring-loaded cart)  will be popped off the stack, and voted on, in ranked order.

Thank-you both . Mr. Potzbie - would the  response be   the same  ( re amend ) were the motion to close debate carried rather than the motion to limit debate . That is- would  the motion to amend  be in order ?  If not- what do you consider the RONR  rationale for that ?  Much Obliged .

19 hours ago, Transpower said:

Closing debate is done by calling the previous question.  This motion ranks hire than to amend, so amend would not be allowed, if the previous question is on the table.  If the motion to call the previous question is not passed, then the motion to amend would be in order.

I'm struggling to determine which would be less rude -- to simply delete this post or to point out that it is irrelevant and all mixed up.

On 3/9/2016 at 0:54 AM, D.Llama said:

A motion to limit debate,  for no longer than 30 minutes,   is made on all pending motions - and carried .Pending are the main motion and the motion to postpone indefinitely . A motion is then made to amend the main motion . Is the motion to amend  in order ? If it is- is it  subject to the motion to limit debate  to no longer than 30 minutes ?  

23 hours ago, Guest said:

Thank-you both . Mr. Potzbie - would the  response be   the same  ( re amend ) were the motion to close debate carried rather than the motion to limit debate . That is- would  the motion to amend  be in order ?  If not- what do you consider the RONR  rationale for that ?  Much Obliged .

I don't understand the second question. A motion to limit the debate on all pending questions to 30 minutes is a motion to close the debate after 30 minutes, and amendments will be in order at least until the 30-minute period has expired. At the end of that period, amendments will be in order if — and only if — the motion to limit debate did not provide "that the vote then be taken", but any such amendments will be undebatable. (See RONR 11th ed., p. 194, l. 24 to p. 195, l. 5.)

If you're asking whether amendments are in order after debate has been closed by an order for the Previous Question, the answer is obviously not.

1 hour ago, Shmuel Gerber said:

I'm struggling to determine which would be less rude -- to simply delete this post or to point out that it is irrelevant and all mixed up.

This is an unfortunate response and does not at all speak well  to those who should know far  better .

15 minutes ago, Guest said:

A continuation of the same approach - not very helpful ! Editorial staff should try to rise  above such comments.  

So instead of acknowledging my efforts to answer your question, you're just going to gripe about the manner in which I choose to steer readers away from nonsense? That doesn't seem very enlightened to me.

Not at all-  efforts appreciated and that's for sure - yours and all others .

But the ,earlier on , raising the notion of using "deletion" as a measure of response ( when no offence is meant by a question- or is  offered to anyone)  seems somewhat unproductive and  harmful to all potentially interested users . If a post is "irrelevant or all mixed up " then the response should be to point out where the  error lies . But expression  of what is  considered the "less rude"  does not  at all aid   the person who in good faith asks- even  a confusing question . That manner of response simply drives those who are respectfully  looking for direction, away from the site . However, it certainly would be a different  matter respecting   those who are somehow seeking to abuse the site or any persons  making use of it  .

I would not know, of course , but I cannot image the late General Robert  be anything but the most patient and courteous of hosts and I would  speculate that he would prefer to  see all things related to Roberts continue on in that fashion . But this is a matter of taste and tone and certainly it is for those who power  the wheels of the Forum  to decide on approach taken . Thank-you .   

Mr. Gerber :

I do expect I owe you some apology - and make that now , for I see on further review that  it was the " Mr.  TRANSPOWER"  response that attracted your reply of maybe should  "delete "  ,and not the question initially posed at the start  of this thread . However , what I have expressed   above stands  re General Robert -even  as an  unauthorized agent for the " Mr. Transpower" contribution . That is so because the Forum ( and  any helpful Forum- such as this one )  should  always emulate the " high road" in my  view and not anything but .Thank-you .    

7 minutes ago, Guest said:

Mr. Gerber :

I do expect I owe you some apology - and make that now , for I see on further review that  it was the " Mr.  TRANSPOWER"  response that attracted your reply of maybe should  "delete "  ,and not the question initially posed at the start  of this thread . However , what I have expressed   above stands  re General Robert -even  as an  unauthorized agent for the " Mr. Transpower" contribution . That is so because the Forum ( and  any helpful Forum- such as this one )  should  always emulate the " high road" in my  view and not anything but .Thank-you .    

Apology accepted. And you're right -- the delete button is something to be used when appropriate, not something to be flaunted by the moderators.

30 minutes ago, Guest said:

Kudos Mr . Gerber - faith fully restored  !

In 2005  I bought you a lunch in Manhatten- but that was a long way back.and unlikely to be at all - recalled.

In addition , since that time you have become one of the RONR illuminati - with all so much more to remember .

But  please  do allow - Kudos for you - on that score as well !

14 minutes ago, Guest said:
  51 minutes ago, Guest said:

Kudos Mr . Gerber - faith fully restored  !

In 2005  I bought you a lunch in Manhatten- but that was a long way back.and unlikely to be at all - recalled.

In addition , since that time you have become one of the RONR illuminati - with all so much more to remember .

But  please  do allow - Kudos for you - on that score as well !

I surely do remember having a meal with you, including the complaint you expressed then that the last sentence of the disclaimer inside the front cover of RONR In Brief is not quite legitimate. ("Outrageous" is what I think you called it, but I wouldn't swear to that.)

LOL "as my children text"  - I'm coming to Manhattan with my son in June - Mets-  Fathers day game and sights of the City - if possible, would be fun to make other  "complaints" directly to you (at lunch/coffee)   in your new editorial  role for RONR . Be WELL !

Archived