The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest Maile

11 minutes ago, Guest Maile said:

Thank you for the help! So form what i read it states that while they may do this it should agreed upon by the board as part of the procedures since the board will only be partially following Roberts Rules. Is that correct?

No, that is not correct.

When a small board decides to use small board rules, either in whole or in part, it is following Robert's Rules.

10 minutes ago, Guest Maile said:

Thank you for the help! So form what i read it states that while they may do this it should agreed upon by the board as part of the procedures since the board will only be partially following Roberts Rules. Is that correct?

The board may decide for itself whether to use the "Small Board Rules" or, provided the bylaws don't restrict it from adopting its own rules, decide to adopt only some of them. 

1 minute ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

No, that is not correct.

When a small board decides to use small board rules, either in whole or in part, it is following Robert's Rules.

Dan, I have a twofold question.  Assume for this question that the bylaws prohibit the board from adopting its own rules of order.

First, may the board decide whether or not to use the "Small Board Rules"?

Second, may the board decide to use only some, but not all, of the small board rules?

RONR itself says (on p. 486, 11th.ed.)  that "The executive board of an organized society operates under the society's bylaws, the society's parliamentary authority, and any special rules of order or standing rules of the society which may be applicable to it. Such a board may adopt its own special rules of order or standing rules only to the extent that such rules do not conflict with any of the rules of the society listed above."

The adoption by a small board of some or all of the small board rules does not conflict with any of the rules in RONR. Whether or not it will conflict with anything in the bylaws, special rules of order, or standing rules of the society which may be applicable to it is a question which I can't answer.

Archived