The Official RONR Q & A Forums

executive session secrecy

Golfer

34 minutes ago, Golfer said:

. . . and he is quoting chapter and verse that its a law that he know what happened in executive session.

Oh? Really?

What chapter? What verse? What law?

Are you (is your colleague) asking a question about law? or about Robert's Rules of Order?

For a legal answers, consult your favorite lawyer.

You have already been given an answer as to Robert's Rules of Order.

On 4/28/2016 at 9:00 PM, Golfer said:

Is information discussed in executive session confidential to members of a club?  We have a member demanding a transcript of an executive session involving a complaint against him and is quoting chapter and verse that its a law that he know what happened in executive session.

Something is odd here.

• First of all, why would there even be a transcript of an executive session?  Was there a stenographer present?  
  • Second if there was a complaint against this member, why wasn't he present at the meeting?  I would certainly show up.
  • Quoting chapter and verse at least gives you the opportunity to check and see if there is such a law.  Did you?  Is there? (I doubt it)

Although you don't say so, I have a suspicion that the executive session was a session of the board, and that the member is not a board member.  Why else would the member not know what happened at the meeting?  If this is the case, then according to RONR, people have no right to know what happened at a meeting of a body of which they are not members.

But if it's true that disciplinary action was being considered at some meeting, this person may have rights that are spelled out in your bylaws, or if not, in Chapter XX of RONR.  So, he could end up having a point.  We'd need a lot more details to be able to sort it out, and if it involves some customized rules that you have regarding discipline, we may be unable.

Archived