The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Being an officer as a function of my job...?

Guest librarylady

I work at a small rural library, run by a Library board, & funded by the city. I am on the "Friends of the Library board" (a separate entity from the "Library Board"). Essentially the Friends group raises funds for & supports some activities of the library.

As part of my job description as assistant librarian, I am required to be the Treasurer of the Friends board. Is this not a conflict? Is this even legal? I believe officers are to be elected by the Friends board members, not foisted upon them by the hiring practices of the city & the Library board...?

Not to mention, I am not the best person for the job. I am willing to help out, but I believe it is not in our Friends board's best interest for me to be in that office. Not to mention, I am uncomfortable with what appears to be a serious conflict of interest.

Please bear with me as I am new to RR. Thanks!

16 hours ago, Guest librarylady said:

I work at a small rural library, run by a Library board, & funded by the city. I am on the "Friends of the Library board" (a separate entity from the "Library Board"). Essentially the Friends group raises funds for & supports some activities of the library.

As part of my job description as assistant librarian, I am required to be the Treasurer of the Friends board. Is this not a conflict? Is this even legal? I believe officers are to be elected by the Friends board members, not foisted upon them by the hiring practices of the city & the Library board...?

Not to mention, I am not the best person for the job. I am willing to help out, but I believe it is not in our Friends board's best interest for me to be in that office. Not to mention, I am uncomfortable with what appears to be a serious conflict of interest.

Please bear with me as I am new to RR. Thanks!

To me, this seems to be more of an operational issue than a Parliamentary one.

How is the Treasurer chosen? It seems that the Treasurer may be selected by the hiring the "assistant librarian", who then becomes the Treasurer. As long as the rules are followed AND there are adequate and sufficient audit(s) and internal controls, I do not see a "conflict of interest".

As to your contention that you are not the "best person for the job", I am very puzzled. Since this is (and presumably was) a clearly defined part of the duties of what you were hired to do, I suggest that you figure out how to carry out such duties.

Archived