The Official RONR Q & A Forums

minutes correction of a past meeting

Guest Akamai888

When corrections to minutes of a past meeting are approved by a 2/3 vote is 

the corrected verbiage written or somehow noted  in the old minutes

(the one that is being corrected)

or only reflected in the minutes of the meeting in which the vote was taken.

i.e.  At the July meeting a motion to correct the April minutes is made, seconded and 

approved by 2/3 .of the members present.  Is the correction added to the April minutes 

or only reflected in the July minutes.

8 hours ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:

See FAQ #16.

Thank you but this only addresses whether the corrections are entered in the minutes of the meeting at which the 

corrections were made.  My concern is whether someone reading the incorrect minutes would know that at a

subsequent meeting corrections were made to the minutes they are reading..

15 hours ago, Shmuel Gerber said:

Were there any meetings between July and April at which the April minutes had already been approved?

Do you agree with Mr. Honemann  that no change should be made to the body of the April minutes

but that a notation in the margin of the April minutes indicating that they have been corrected as reflected in

the minutes of the July meeting can or should be made.

1 minute ago, Akamai888 said:

Do you agree with Mr. Honemann  that no change should be made to the body of the April minutes

but that a notation in the margin of the April minutes indicating that they have been corrected as reflected in

the minutes of the July meeting can or should be made.

Yep, I agree with Mr. Honemann (as I usually do when I know what's good for me).

However....  (this is not in the book!)  I suppose if the minutes are to be "published"  (whatever that may mean to a particular society - made "public" in some manner outside the membership) it would be appropriate to incorporate the changes in the text of the amended minutes.  This could avoid all sorts of (future) confusion, I'd think.

Thank you all for your sage opinions.  Yes, sdtockpo the minutes are published. I was hoping there

was some reference in RONR to justify  the logical alternatives presented by forum members

(with which I totally agree). 

Unfortunately in the absence of a specific citation I will have to accede to an opposing view.

Mahalo

Archived