The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Secret Ballot

Guest Karen

Can a call for secret ballot be granted for a committee member for a conference call vote when a member of said committee has been nominated for office due to making another member "uncomfortable" in voicing their vote out loud?  The issue isn't addressed in the Bylaws. 

First of all, do your bylaws authorize "meeting" by conference call (or in any other absentee manner)?    If not, then what you are doing is entirely improper and the vote, if taken, is null and void.

If the bylaws do allow meetings by phone, it requires a majority vote to, in turn, require a ballot vote on any issue, not just a "call" from another member. 

But I can't tell you how to do such a ballot vote via phone call  --  I guess you will have to wait for the next regular meeting.

18 minutes ago, Godelfan said:

You could conduct the election using blockchain technology.  It doesn't matter who tallies the votes because the votes are anonymous, but each person can look at the tally and, by matching their key with their vote, make sure their vote was correctly recorded.

What is "blockchain technology"?  And how can it be used for voting by secret ballot during a conference call?

Edited by Richard Brown
Added second sentence

I'm not sure a 7 minute video is sufficient, but it's certainly necessary if you want to understand it.

An easier way might be to set up two bitcoin wallets - a yes wallet and a no wallet.  Everyone can then send a dollar to th walert of their choice.  To prevent multiple voting, you make sure that the numbers of dollars add up correctly - if nt, vote again until they do (not ideal).  Everyone can check that their dollar went to the right wallet.  Then after the decision is made, you reverse all the transactions.  This isn't nearly as good, though, since it doesn't ake use of the most secure parts of blockchains.

There are companies that provide blockchain voting; one organization where I served as parliamentarian hired one for their annual convention to handle all balloted votes.  Everyone was given a ballot with a barcode and filled in circles to ote.  There was a piece to rip off with a copy of your barcode.  You could go online and look for your barcode and make sure your vote was recorded correctly.  This was using the blockchain idea, but with a pretty front-end.

On 1/11/2017 at 10:35 PM, Godelfan said:

You could conduct the election using blockchain technology

On 1/11/2017 at 10:52 PM, Richard Brown said:

What is "blockchain technology"?

On 1/12/2017 at 0:08 AM, Richard Brown said:

I still don't have a clue what this block chain stuff is o

Never mind, Rich; Godelfan is probably twelve or so, so we'll never have a clue.  Now I feel older than when that new guy (complimentarily!) called us a bunch of old mosquitoes a coupla hours or days ago.

Edited by Gary c Tesser
Maybe the "new guy" is SmallDogClub, or BigFrenchNostril (might be redundant)) or whatever.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.