The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ms

Guest Judy

Can I know - must the previous minutes of a meeting be approved in the next meeting? Assuming the next meeting happens in a year's time ?

Can the approval be done electronically?

Is email approval acceptable for minutes?

If email approval is acceptable, how should we write on the minutes that the discussed items have been approved through emails.  Is there a specific term to be used for this type of approval?  Thank you.

4 hours ago, Guest Judy said:

Can I know - must the previous minutes of a meeting be approved in the next meeting?

Yes.

Assuming the next meeting happens in a year's time ?

A year is too long. If the meetings are more than a quarterly interval apart, a committee or the board should be authorized to approve the minutes.

Can the approval be done electronically?

Is email approval acceptable for minutes?

No, unless the bylaws authorize this.

If email approval is acceptable, how should we write on the minutes that the discussed items have been approved through emails.  Is there a specific term to be used for this type of approval?  Thank you.

What do you mean? Approving the minutes simply means approving that the minutes are an accurate record of what happened. It has nothing to do with approval of the actions contained within the minutes. Those actions were approved when they were voted on.

5 hours ago, Guest Judy said:

Can I know - must the previous minutes of a meeting be approved in the next meeting?

11 minutes ago, Josh Martin said:

Yes.

I'm going to quibble with Josh just slightly. The minutes SHOULD be approved at the next meeting unless a committee or board has been authorized to approve them.. Nobody is going to come in and tear down the clubhouse or revoke your charter if for some reason it doesn't get done at the next meeting.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.