The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Promoting topic on agenda

Guest Sheri

The chairperson would like to promote a topic on the agenda, so that it doesn't have to wait until after unfinished business.  The order of business is not specifically listed in the bylaws, but states that the cabinet determines the order of the agenda.  Does this mean that RONR (Minutes, Reports, Special Orders, Unfinished Business, New Business) is not followed?  How does something become a Special Order, perhaps that would be an option?

Thanks

Sheri

Well, this raises a few thoughts for me.  First, unfinished business is rare, so it's odd for this to be a concern.  Next, if the bylaws do not provide an order of business, but say the cabinet (I assume this term is defined in the bylaws) will come up with one, then that is what should happen - and, if the cabinet fails to, I would think the order in RONR would prevail.  But if the cabinet does adopt a different order of business, that will be followed.  Finally, the item could be made a special order by a motion to make it a special order, which is (I think) an incidental main motion.  Alternatively, the assembly could simply suspend the rules to take up the item at an earlier point in the meeting.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.