The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Veto?

Guest Z.Ransom

No, not unless your bylaws expressly give him that power.    You might explain, though, what you mean  by authority to veto a matter.  Are you referring to vetoing an adopted motion?  Refusal to put a motion to a vote?   Those two situations are entirely different.  The latter is not a "veto".

I am actually referring to the latter.  We are a student org, and a few of our members would like to use our general fund to supplement recent efforts in a particular fundraiser.  As President, I am highly opposed to this.  I simply feel that we are not in a financial situation which allows us to donate what little funds we have.  I am trying to head this off before it even goes to a vote.  The parliamentary section of our bylaws states that we refer to Robert's Rules of Orders.  I must admit that I do not own this, and am not wholly familiar with it.
The other option I am considering is putting the motion to a vote by the Executive Committee.  If I understand correctly, if 3 of 4 officers vote against, we are not required to put it to a vote of the general assembly. 
Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.  

The chair does not have the authority to refuse to process a motion just because he doesn't like it. The only reason for refusing to allow a motion is by ruling it out of order if it violates some rule. Even then, any two members can appeal the ruling of the chair to the assembly. The decision of the assembly is final. 

Unless your bylaws specifically provide otherwise, your board is subject to the orders of the membership, not the other way around. The membership is usually the superior body.

8 hours ago, Guest Z.Ransom said:

We are a student org, and a few of our members would like to use our general fund to supplement recent efforts in a particular fundraiser.  As President, I am highly opposed to this.  I simply feel that we are not in a financial situation which allows us to donate what little funds we have.  I am trying to head this off before it even goes to a vote.  The parliamentary section of our bylaws states that we refer to Robert's Rules of Orders.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.  

2 hours ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:

It may help to get the right book. Also, the In Brief book may be of use.

Good candidate for our Understatement of the Year Award.  :)

12 hours ago, Guest Z.Ransom said:

. . . . The other option I am considering is putting the motion to a vote by the Executive Committee.  If I understand correctly, if 3 of 4 officers vote against, we are not required to put it to a vote of the general assembly. 

12 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

. . . .Unless your bylaws specifically provide otherwise, your board is subject to the orders of the membership, not the other way around. The membership is usually the superior body.

Guest Z.Ransom, Official Interpretations 2006-12 and 2006-13 might be illustrative on this particular point. http://www.robertsrules.com/interp_list.html#2006_12

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner
13 hours ago, Guest Z.Ransom said:

I am trying to head this off before it even goes to a vote.

The way to do that is to relinquish to the chair to the Vice President and then move to Postpone Indefinitely. You will have ample opportunity to explain your objections in debate.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.