The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Non Members at general Meeting

Guest Terry

I don't believe there's anything that would prohibit nonmembers from attending meetings. Having them participate, however, might require adoption of special rules of order (2/3 vote of members) or bylaws provisions, etc.

RONR p. 96f addresses it more thoroughly, with additional sections under "nonmembers" in the index.

Unless prohibited by your bylaws, you can absolutely invite non-members to attend your meetings. They can also be given permission to speak by a majority vote, but it requires a two-thirds vote to allow them to participate in debate. They cannot vote under any circumstances.

Often a request to allow them to speak is handled by the chairman by unanimous consent if there is no objection.

3 hours ago, Benjamin Geiger said:

I don't believe there's anything that would prohibit nonmembers from attending meetings.

To be more precise, there is nothing that prevents the assembly from inviting non-members to attend the meeting. Non-members have no inherent right to attend meetings - their attendance is solely dependent on the decision of the membership.

35 minutes ago, Bruce Lages said:

To be more precise, there is nothing that prevents the assembly from inviting non-members to attend the meeting. Non-members have no inherent right to attend meetings - their attendance is solely dependent on the decision of the membership.

A fair point well made. I was probably including the implied "if the members permit it" that I didn't make explicit.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.