The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Inactivity on previously passed motion/amendment

DaveH

In 2012, our church in conference, approved an amendment to constitution creating a position of emeritus status for past leaders granting them access, but no vote, to attend all future leadership meetings. This amendment has now sat without further action or implementation for nearly six years. Are there steps that must be taken to enact it after such time? Would someone who disagreed with the amendment be able to now revise it? 

20 minutes ago, DaveH said:

In 2012, our church in conference, approved an amendment to constitution creating a position of emeritus status for past leaders granting them access, but no vote, to attend all future leadership meetings. This amendment has now sat without further action or implementation for nearly six years. Are there steps that must be taken to enact it after such time? Would someone who disagreed with the amendment be able to now revise it? 

1) There is no expiration dates on adopted motions, so if your group hasn't acted on it, then it's about time to start since it's a part of your constitution.

2) Any member may move to amend or rescind that constitutional provision.  The rules for such an amendment are found in the constitution itself.

27 minutes ago, DaveH said:

Thanks. The motion in question was adopted prior to my arrival. I'm not a fan of it, but will look to being implementation soon. 

Since no one seems to be too upset about the lack of implementation, now might be a good time to propose an amendment to remove it from the constitution.

Edited by George Mervosh

If a motion was adopted to create this position, what further steps must be taken to "enact" or implement it? Why wouldn't the adoption of the motion suffice? Unless I'm missing something, which is totally possible, it would seem the motion was adopted, the position exists, even if nobody has taken advantage of the position since its creation.

5 hours ago, Tom Coronite said:

If a motion was adopted to create this position, what further steps must be taken to "enact" or implement it? Why wouldn't the adoption of the motion suffice? Unless I'm missing something, which is totally possible, it would seem the motion was adopted, the position exists, even if nobody has taken advantage of the position since its creation.

I would think one step in enacting the motion would be to send these persons the notices of the meetings they are now entitled to attend.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.