The Official RONR Q & A Forums

What should be put in the minutes

Guest Assistant secretary

For years, our association has included a resident forum question and answer topic and committee reports in the minutes. If I understand Roberts rules correctly, this should not be done.  My understanding is that only decisions and actions should be written in the minutes. Am I wrong? Is he correct?  And Does anybody know the page number In the books newest edition regarding the minutes? One board member insists that all this information should be included because previous boards have done this. 

1 hour ago, Guest Assistant secretary said:

For years, our association has included a resident forum question and answer topic and committee reports in the minutes. If I understand Roberts rules correctly, this should not be done.  My understanding is that only decisions and actions should be written in the minutes. Am I wrong? Is he correct?

You are correct.

And Does anybody know the page number In the books newest edition regarding the minutes?

The minutes are discussed in RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 468-476.

One board member insists that all this information should be included because previous boards have done this. 

No, the board is always free to start doing things correctly. :)

Edited by Josh Martin

For years, our association has included a resident forum question and answer topic and committee reports in the minutes. If I understand Roberts rules correctly, this should not be done.  My understanding is that only decisions and actions should be written in the minutes. Am I wrong? Is he correct?  And Does anybody know the page number In the books newest edition regarding the minutes? One board member insists that all this information should be included because previous boards have done this. 

I agree with the answer by Josh Martin above but would point out that your organization (and every organization) may adopt its own rules regarding what is to go into the minutes.  It appears your organization has adopted a custom of putting this additional information in the minutes.  It is improper per the rules in RONR, but if your organization wishes to continue doing this, it may adopt a rule permitting or even requiring that information to be in the minutes.  I warn you, however, that putting that stuff in the minutes becomes very subjective as to what should and should not be in the minutes and can lead to arguments down the road.   Also, even without a rule, when the minutes are up for approval the assembly may vote to include that additional information in the minutes.

I read under minutes

“  when a question is considered informally, the same information should be recorded under the regular rules, since  The only informality in the proceedings is in the debate” 

Does this refer to questions asked by the board? Can someone please clarify?

7 hours ago, Guest Assistant secretary said:

I read under minutes

“  when a question is considered informally, the same information should be recorded under the regular rules, since  The only informality in the proceedings is in the debate” 

Does this refer to questions asked by the board? Can someone please clarify?

The word "question" means the motion (specifically the question is "Shall the motion be adopted?"). The sentence you quote refers to Informal Consideration of the motion.

It is a very different meaning than a question / answer type of dialogue.

11 hours ago, Guest Assistant secretary said:

Is who correct--Gen. Robert?   I hope so! 

Is one board  member correct?  No.  Written rules (including those in the parliamentary authority (RONR), supersede custom.  However, a majority of the board can decide to include whatever they wish--a single member cannot.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.