The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bylaw amendments

intrmom

Our annual HOA meeting is coming up soon. Any proposed bylaw amendments must be mailed 30 days prior to the meeting and according to our bylaws, the membership must propose any amendments or addition to the bylaws not the Board of Directors (unless they are doing  general revision) I have advised the Board of this numerous times.  The President of the Board has proposed 5 bylaw amendments. He says he submitted them as a member of the association and not as a member of the Board. However, on the ballots that were mailed out they have "Note: This bylaw amendment has been proposed by John Smith, Sunshine HOA member and President of the Sunshine HOA Board of Directors." These ballots will be used for anyone wishing to vote as absentee. I believe the ballots are tainted because he added his position and board status. The membership may think these changes are being endorsed by the Board of Directors. Would it be in order for me to move to discount all absentees votes cast because the ballots are tainted? Thank you for any advise you can give me.

11 hours ago, intrmom said:

However, on the ballots that were mailed out they have "Note: This bylaw amendment has been proposed by John Smith, Sunshine HOA member and President of the Sunshine HOA Board of Directors." These ballots will be used for anyone wishing to vote as absentee. I believe the ballots are tainted because he added his position and board status. The membership may think these changes are being endorsed by the Board of Directors. Would it be in order for me to move to discount all absentees votes cast because the ballots are tainted?

No, I do not think the ballots are “tainted” as a result of this inclusion and I certainly do not think it is proper to discard the absentee votes on this basis.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.